How to overclock GPU for NEXA?
There is no "the best" way to overclock a graphics card, as it depends on individual preferences. Some prefer achieving the maximum hashrate, while others want to reduce electricity costs.
We will provide you with some basic overclocking guidelines so you can find the optimal values for your specific mining scenario.
We will focus on overclocking techniques for Nvidia and AMD GPUs, specifically for the NexaPow (NEXA) algorithm.
How to Overclock Your Graphics Card
- Miners' settings: Service commands allow you to control the miner. You can use them both in the Kryptex PRO or other standalone miners.
- MSI Afterburner: This is a universal app that you can use to overclock both Nvidia and AMD graphics cards. You can adjust the the core and memory frequencies, fan speed, and power consumption.
- Native utilities: Graphics card manufacturers often provide their overclocking utilities. For instance, AMD GPUs have a built-in overclocking tool that gets installed along with the drivers.
Be careful using overclocking commands, as different miners have their commands.
The miner.download website provides detailed information on commands and scenarios for their use.
The NEXA algorithm, or NexaPow, does not utilize the graphics card’s memory for calculations. Instead, it uses the memory to build a data-table used in the calculations. The core is used for calculations, while the memory is a buffer for these calculations.
- Reduce the memory frequency to the minimum allowable value sufficient for the algorithm to work.
- Find the optimal hashrate and power consumption. Adjust the core frequencies and power consumption to achieve the best balance of performance and efficiency.
- Adjust fan speed. Adjust the fan speed to your liking to maintain optimal cooling and prevent overheating.
Let's take overclocking the RTX 3070 as an example. You can use the same method to overclock your GPUs, or you can find detailed settings for different GPUs in our Overclocking Database.
The NexaPow algorithm utilizes minimum memory, necessitating the adjustment of the base frequency value. In the case of Nvidia 1600-3000 series graphics cards, fixing the memory clock at
5000 MHz is recommended. For newer and more powerful GPUs, such as the RTX 3080-4000, a fix of around
5001 MHz. For older GPUs, fix the value of
- In the MSI Afterburner program, set the Memory Clock value so that during mining the frequency is
- In the settings of the miner (take lolminer) we fix the memory frequency at around
5000MHz with the command
The Nexa coin uses the core, which means that the higher the core frequency, the higher the hashrate, but the consumption of the video card will also be higher. So let us fix the core frequency at the optimal values. For the RTX 3000 series of graphics cards, this will be
- Nothing needs to be done in MSI Afterburner at this stage.
- In the miner settings (take lolminer) we fix the core frequency at around
1470Megahertz with the command
Increasing the core frequency offset allows the GPU to raise the frequency without raising the consumption. However, be careful not to go too high! We recomend
- In MSI Afterburner, increase Core Clock by
- In the miner settings (lolminer as an example), set the core offset to
250Megahertz using the command
Limiting the GPU's total consumption will increase the mining efficiency.
- In MSI Afterburner, reduce the Power Limit value until the hashrate starts to drop significantly or until you reach the desired value for the GPU consumption. In our case, set the value to
- In the miner settings (lolminer as an example), set the maximum consumption threshold in watts to
Adjusting the fan speed according to your preferences:
- In MSI Afterburner, set the Fan Speed to
- In the miner settings (lolminer as an example), use the command
Tests and result
The graphics card can be overclocked for maximum power savings, or for maximum hashrate.
Let's consider both options. Choose which one you like best:
- For max hashrate: 84.40 Mh/s and 147w:
--coff 255 --cclk 1680 --mclk 5000 --pl 200 --fan 60
- For maximum savings of: 73.78 Mh/s and 115w:
--coff 255 --cclk 1470 --mclk 5000 --pl 200 --fan 60
Remember that overclocking differs for each graphics card; even the same graphics cards can be overclocked differently. Therefore, you should independently select overclocking settings for each card and monitor stability. No one can overclock a graphics card better than you!